Court Information

Court Agendas

Cases usually will be heard in this order:
  1. Application of adjournments
  2. Guilty pleas
  3. Contested matters with an attorney
  4. Other contested matters

Day of Court Information

If you come to court for a traffic offense and if you have not previously notified the court of your intention to plead not guilty, speak to the court clerk immediately. If the officer or others involved can be contacted to testify, your case may be heard. If they cannot be reached, you will have to make another court appearance at a later date.

ADA Coordinator - Ashley Fritz, Court Administrator

If you need the services of an interpreter, please notify the Municipal Court Administrator PRIOR to your court appearance. 

Please advise the Court IN ADVANCE if you need an ADA accommodation.  

Guilty Plea

If you plead guilty, it is not necessary to have a trial. You have admitted that you have violated the law. However, you may then explain to the Judge any extenuating circumstances. The Judge will then impose sentence.

Not Guilty Plea

If you plead not guilty, you and the witnesses will be placed under oath to speak the truth. It is necessary for the prosecution to prove the charges against you. Your attorney has the right to ask the prosecution's witnesses any questions pertaining to the charges. If you do not have an attorney, present your questions for the witness to the Judge.

For some violations, the required proof is by a preponderance of the credible evidence as, for example, in Penalty Enforcement Actions, Fish and Game, filiation proceedings, breathalyzer refusal violations, etc.


When the prosecution has finished, you may then present your own witnesses or testify on your own behalf. You are not forced to testify against yourself, but you may testify if you desire. Any evidence you give may be used by either side. If you do testify, the prosecution has the right to ask you any questions pertaining to the charges.

If the court finds you guilty and you feel the judgment or the sentence was in error, you have 20 days within which to appeal. Appeals in practically all instances will be heard by the Superior Court, Law Division.

Damages resulting from a collision cannot be tried by this court. This court is only concerned with violations of the state statutes and municipal ordinances.