Civil Union Licenses
The registrar is issuing marriage/civil union licenses and processing domestic partnerships by appointment only.
Call Maria Moeller at 973-270-2040 to set-up an appointment and for changes due to COVID-19.
On the day of your appointment call when you arrive and you will be let into the building.. All visitors are required to wear a face covering and maintain social distancing.
Complete the civil union license application form. You may also get an application form at the Local Registrar’s office.
Do not sign the application form before going to the Local Registrar. You must sign the application, while under oath, in the presence of the issuing authority.
Requirements for Entering into a Civil Union
For two people to establish a civil union in New Jersey, they must satisfy all of the following requirements:
- Not be a party to another civil union, domestic partnership or marriage in this state or that is recognized by this state*
- Be of the same sex
- Be at least 18 years of age, except that applicants under 18 may enter into a civil union with parental consent. Applicants under age 16 must obtain parental consent and have the consent approved in writing by any judge of the Superior Court, Chancery Division, Family Part
Where to Apply
You may apply in the New Jersey municipality in which either person resides. The license is valid throughout the state.
If neither applicant lives in New Jersey, submit the application in the municipality where the civil union ceremony will be performed. The license is only valid in the issuing municipality.
Appointments are required to apply for a Civil Union License in Lincoln Park.
What You Should Bring With You When You Apply for a Civil Union License
- If you are divorced, have had a previous civil union dissolved, domestic partnership terminated or have had a civil union annulled, please bring the decree(s) or the civil annulment documents
- If your former spouse / civil union or domestic partner is deceased, please bring the death certificate
- A copy of your birth certificate, driver’s license, passport or state identification
- Proof of your residency
- Your social security card or social security number*
- A witness, 18 years of age or older
- The $28 application fee
Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
After You Apply
There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar.
The Civil Union license application is valid 6 six months from the date accepted, unless the Registrar has given prior approval to extend the validity of the application to a maximum of 1 year.
The license is valid for 30 days once issued.
Only one Civil Union license may be granted from a Civil Union application. If the license expires before being used, a new application must be made and another $28 fee remitted.
The only exception to this requirement is in the case where a civil and religious ceremony are to be performed on the same day. In this case, the Local Registrar will photocopy the Civil Union application, marking one “A” and one “B”, and issue the corresponding Civil Union licenses, marking them “A” and “B” as well. One copy will be used for the religious ceremony and the other for the civil ceremony.